We went to Taipei back in November. Melissa hasn't quit nagging me about finishing this post. So Melissa - here it is, I finally finished it.
It was not raining when we left Taipei but as we made our way north, the rain started and it didn't stop until we started heading back south. Our first stop was a temple in Keelung City (Chung Cheng Park) where Melissa rang the largest bell in Taiwan!
Inside the temple there were these large columns with thousands of little Buddha statues. It turns out that the temple raises money by selling the slots for the year. These are all names of people who have donated to the temple this year.
Do you see the queen's head with her long slender neck? The wind side is battered by the wind and rain so it is full of pot marks, but the other side is smooth and if you look long enough you can see her... I think....
After we dropped the last of the morning group back off at their hotels, we headed out for lunch with him at a local place. We were a little skeptical as the driver kept on saying it was "cheap, cheap local food" but after getting there we were pleasantly surprised, though for a minute there I thought Melissa and I were back in high school again getting a cheap Chinese buffet. The buffet was like US$4 a person!
It was very slow moving but we finally made it to the tea house - a bit before the designated meeting time. We sat at our own table to enjoy a pot of Taiwan high mountain oolong tea. As we sat down we noticed it was going to be a different experience as the waitress brought over the kettle and placed it on a smoldering hump of coals just beside me. Man, that tea could not have been better considering we had been walking around in the cold rain all day!
We saw a lot of people heading out of an alley eating street food so we knew we were heading in the right direction. Half way down the alley we saw people huddled around large pans with shrimp. It took us a minute to figure out exactly what they were doing but from what we gathered, they were fishing for shrimp. Was this a kid's catch and release? I hope so as there are easier ways than waiting for an unlucky shrimp to swim over your treble (three) hook and get skewered.
On our way out we passed a rifle air gun stand I asked Melissa if she wanted to try her hand to which she instantly said NO. But, after showing her what to do she was hooked on shooting down the money hanging by a flimsy sheet of toilet paper. After the initial 20 corks were shot Melissa wanted more. I have seen this Melissa before in front of the Monopoly slot machine in Macau... the competitive Melissa doesn't want to lose! After buying in a few more times and numerous direct hits, I finally convinced her that the money packet was not going anywhere and then the vendor gave her a consolation gift of playing cards. I think it was really because she drew a quite a large crowd of locals over to see this blond girl wield this gun.
The morning before our flight back to Hong Kong we headed off to see some of the sites in the downtown area, and our first stop with the landmark skyscraper Taipei 101. There is a mall at the base - well I guess like most large buildings in Asia now that I think about it. The mall makes it a nightmare to find exactly where to go to catch the elevators to the observation deck. As it was still early and the mall was closed it took us a little while but we finally made it to the 5th floor elevator banks where we bought our tickets and then caught the express to the observation deck. The elevator takes off like a rocket and before you know it your ears are popping. There was an interesting little screen showing the stats of the elevator while it was in progress but there were too many people for me to reach the camera, but I did snap a photo on the way down. In the airport on the way out we saw these bookmarks.. I always thought Taiwanese kids were smart, guess they had a little luck too.

No comments:
Post a Comment